Monday, November 2, 2009

The New Routine (Day 1)

My Uncle Matt has cancer. My Aunt Cheryl has cancer. My mother lost her thyroid and two lymph nodes to cancer when I was very young. Her mom (my "Nanny") and her aunt (my "Mamo") lost their lives to cancer.
You would think I'd know better than to ever pick up a cigarette. But I did. In a rebellious phase after my divorce, I promptly got a tattoo, had my belly-button pierced, and took up smoking. All habits and characteristics that my ex-husband had expressed distaste for. I don't regret the tattoo. The belly-button piercing closed up the first time I had to remove my ring to wear a corset for six weeks. I regret ever picking up a cigarette.
As an artist, I don't always lead a very disciplined lifestyle. I'm disciplined about my work and rigorous with my 'off-hours', devoting a good amount of time to learning lines and researching text, setting, character, etc. But I am not disciplined about my diet, my physical routine, or just how I treat my body in general. As soon as a show closes, I can guarantee to put on 5-10 pounds. (I love my gelato!) When I begin rehearsals, I shed that 5-10 pounds during the rehearsal process, keep it off during the production, and promptly put it back on after the show has closed. Rinse and repeat. It's not the healthiest yo-yo and I'm not at the age where I can sustain that kind of back and forth without having to also nurse weak ankles, aching knees and a knotted back.
My Uncle Matt had begun to train for marathons with his wife when he received his cancer diagnosis. I haven't really had the chance to talk to him about it at length, but he has been on my mind a lot as I read his blog and chuckle at his Facebook updates. He and his wife (Syria) are both talented performers in their own right and I'm honored to be able to say that I performed onstage with both of them years ago. (And still dream of giving my aunt a run for her money should I ever get the chance to play Mrs. Shinn or Yente. She's an amazing character actress and was way too young for either role when she played them, but was brilliant!) I guess one of my biggest faults is that I don't often open up and tell people how inspirational they have been to me personally or spiritually or artistically. Matt and Syria encompass all three.
And so it is that I started talking to Jason about our routine and lifestyle. After joking about whether or not we should all shave our heads for Christmas, we decided instead to pay homage by breaking some habits and starting a routine.

This morning, I woke up and put on my sporty shoes. And ran.

I didn't run far and I didn't run long. But I did it.

I'm hoping that with the increase in water consumption and the cessation of smoking that the wheeze will go away... or at least not kick in at the first 20 yards... and while I can't promise to cut out the caffeine, I suspect it will be on a gradual decline.
Jay and I already love to cook for each other and take great pride in being able to grab tufts of our own organic herbs (growing on the window sill) and fresh veggies from the corner market to whip up something healthy and fun. Extra points if it's ethnic cuisine! Our one big indulgence is sushi, which we save for special occasions. Or make up special occasions for. Whatever. Don't judge me. A morning walk/run is the next logical step in a healthier lifestyle.

It is my hope to also incorporate a little more time for blogging in my routine. For starters, because I really do love to write... and because it will help keep me accountable. It's also a nice way to document observations like seeing my neighborhood up-close and personal with it's droopy-faced pumpkins and limp ghosts on the webbed walkways, and the first wreath of the season on someone's front door, the window of which bore a yellow ribbon... the dogs, the kids, the fellah working on his truck...

They say the hardest part of running is making it out the door. I personally think the hardest part is the actual 'running' part... but what do I know? I'm new at this.
Thanks, Uncle Matt... for helping me make it out the door. And thanks, Jason... for keeping me motivated.
Day One.
Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment