Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving... and I have so much to be thankful for.
Today, I'll pick up the kids after a half-day of school and bring them home where we'll go through homework that needs to be completed over their break and start on some of the baking and cooking for tomorrow.
Thanksgiving was always a huge family affair growing up. I can remember spending the holiday at my Grandma's house with tables and chairs set up all around the backyard and a huge buffet of dishes in every shape and color - the favored recipes of family members always being included. Dave and Lynn's fruit salads, Susie's pies and cheesecakes... cousins and second-cousins, the pastor and his wife, foreign exchange students and other temporary family adoptees. Huge.
As family members began to splinter through divorce as well as marry and procreate the next generation, we began to celebrate separately or in smaller familial groups. Mom had moved to Oregon and our matriarch was no longer planning and hosting for us.
It was then that Jason and I started hosting our own Thanksgiving. It left us flexible with the kids so that they could celebrate both with us and with their dad's side of the family. It also allowed us to cook some of the dishes we wouldn't otherwise (with family taking care of the bulk) and open our home to friends that didn't have families in town with which to celebrate.
My dear friend Scott (Pandora) has been doing the same for years and calling it their 'Annual Peasant's Feast'. They are in Phoenix. We called ours the 'Orphan's Thanksgiving' and hosted at our 'east side' location in Mesa. Equity actors in town on contract, friends and family separated by work, or those just wanting a second helping after their own celebrations were welcome to join in either or both. And one year, Jay and I wrapped up our Orphan's Thanksgiving just in time to make it to the Peasant's Feast ourselves.
I was always very thankful for my large extended family and do sometimes wish that I was still tightly woven into the fibers of it.
But this seems to be the year where 'the best of both worlds' comes to fruition. Tonight, I'll spend some time in the kitchen with the kids and Jay (not all at once, mind you) and tomorrow, the kids will spend time with their dad's side of the family in the early afternoon. I'll pick them up and head to my mom's where we'll combine our efforts and produce a feast fit for kings. The doors are open for anyone on the east side of town who wishes to join us, and we're sure to have a great supply of leftovers for the week.
As is tradition, the cats will get their Thanksgiving treat of smoked salmon. (I know, they're spoiled. Whatev.)
And on Friday... the kids and I will unpack our Christmas decorations. Christina and I will put Jason and David to work while we set out to find a suitable tree.
My adult life hasn't always been one of routine or tradition, but I find that we've settled into our own adaptation of the holidays I once knew. Christina and I will bake cakes, cookies, breads and pastries. David and Jason will make sure the fire is cracklin'. There will be music. And laughter. And love. Family.

I have so very much to be thankful for.

Christina asked for a new phone for Christmas and it turns out that hers is dying anyhow. Well, her phone came in already... so she'll be getting one of her major gifts a bit early. (I'm thankful they're at the age where we can do that kind of thing.)

As I write, there is a purring kitten on my lap, a cool breeze on the patio and steam rising from my mug of hot cocoa. Plus, I'm the current champion (between Jay and I) in both Bejeweled Blitz and Lexulous. Call me boring, but I couldn't be more content.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment