Monday, June 28, 2010

What's the buzz...

Okay, so... there have been a buttload of projects going on, which has kept me from the daily blogging glory I so aspire to. (cough cough) Yeah... excuses.

But in all reality... no, really... reality TV, that is... we are working on a documentary series right now that has kinda taken over our lives in what precious spare time we still had. I'm thinking that perhaps I can do double-duty and just post video blogs ('vlogs' the kids call them nowadays) but I'm honestly not that ambitious. Plus, there's something about writing that is cathartic for me. It's not quite the same as pouring your guts out into a handycam. Which is admittedly still very awkward and foreign. But... all in the name of art, right?!

The studio has had both Jason and I hoppin' from photo shoots to belly castings and it feels good to be this busy again. Finances are tight as usual during the summer months, but it feels less oppressive when our schedules are filled at least. Plus, we tend to argue less and accomplish more when we're both involved in artistic or creative endeavors. Both photography and the sculpting have been a much welcomed and needed outlet for us.

The kids have been home for summer break which has been more awesome than I can even express. It's a challenge as we find our work-from-home environment tossed on its ear with two teenagers sleeping on couches or competing for computer time. But the house feels like 'home' again as we talk about random issues and topics late into the night and plan family events and projects together. It is amazing to me how quickly they've grown and how much their understanding of life and the world expands every day. They humble me daily. I will be disappointed when they go back to school... only because it means frenetic schedules and less free time for us to just enjoy each other.

They will return to school and I'll return to stage in August. My first project of the season is the role of Poppy in Noises Off (a 1982 farce written by English playwright Michael Frayn) with Phoenix Theatre which will perform in September. After that, I will begin rehearsals as Velma in Hairspray (the musical based on the 1988 John Water's film) with Phoenix Theatre, which will perform in November and December. It's an amazing start to the season and I'm so excited I'm peeing myself quite frequently.

Add to that the projects that are expanding Living Art Studios and some of the potential projects with Arizona Curriculum Theatre and Th (sic) Sense... and well, it looks like it's gearing up to be a fun and adventure-filled season with some talented friends.

And on that note, I'm off to outline some videos, sand a belly and figure out what I'm making for dinner. Today, I'm thankful that I didn't have to go out in this heat. Props to Jason for taking on the chore of the weekly grocery shopping. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment