Monday, May 9, 2011

Adventures In Little Rock: The Final Chapter

I hate goodbyes.
I also hate closing good shows.

Every show, every theatre, every organization has it's own quirks and processes.
Complications like dual directors, no wing space, troublesome sound and tech booth ergonomics only add to the character of a show (in my opinion) and this production of Hairspray was no exception.

I was honored to reprise this role with talented artists that I had worked with in Phoenix, but had no idea the additional number of people that I would come to know and love in my two months here.

The Stage Management team took me under their wing and allowed me to walk the line between actor and crew - finding solace in girlie time with Ann and joy in the disgust on Mary's face when I licked her. Not to mention their nefarious leader, Patrick, who allowed me to vent when I needed and gave me the pimp hand when I was gettin' too big for my britches - even allowing me to adopt his dog as a temporary surrogate for my beloved Roxanne.
Corinne... good, God... what a fun musical director! Equal parts no-nonsense and heart, I loved and respected her instantly... and her wit is only matched by her sarcasm. I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with her.
The cast... was and is simply amazing. From all of my nicest kids: Mary Katelin, Molly, Stacy, Kayte, Kelsie and Christy were always smiling and full of amazing energy. God, these girls made me laugh... I mean REALLY laugh... and made me feel like I was big sister to some amazing young women. And my boys.... my sweet, sweet Kevin, Matt, David and Brendan who NEVER dropped me and in fact lifted me up in more ways than one. And of course, Cory, Michael, Gregory and Antyon... all of whom I will miss so much.

Our girls' dressing room was such a sanctuary. Kim and Iris who are everything I wish I could be as a performer and more - Miss Sandy, who is a hoot and a holler "Happy Biiiirthday" kind of gal, and the beautiful Laura and Katie: Miss Congeniality and Punky Who. What a blast we had with our Pandora pre-show and our random discussions!
Jay and Rick, who never ceased to keep a twinkle in my eye onstage, and LaVon, who arrived grieving the loss of her aunt and grandmother, but who left celebrating a new pregnancy.
And Lillian... my dear, sweet Tracy. No one could ever compare with the remarkable amount of heart in this woman.

I learned a lot in Arkansas.

I learned that tornadoes are scary and will suck the windows right off of a building.
I learned that good people will make up for a world of loneliness and discomfort in a foreign setting.
I learned that you should NEVER stand up your MD when she invites you out for dinner or drinks... and if you do, she will give you a ton of shit.
I learned that hazing young sorority sisters is fun for everyone involved!
I learned that hallway/block party/potlucks are super-awesome and totally exhausting!
I learned that residents of Arkansas are some of the nicest, most supportive people I've ever met.
I learned that there is no substitute for a really good snuggle session.
I learned that it's exactly 12 steps from the stage left wing to the vanity spike at center.
I learned that a good sense of humor goes a long way.
I learned that two months is a hell of a long time to go without seeing or hugging my babies.
I learned that home is truly where you make it... and for the last two months, my home has been pretty damn nice.

A part of me wanted to stay in Arkansas, knowing that there were people staying... it didn't feel right to leave only parts of our family behind as we fractured and separated towards our respective home bases.
My flight into Dallas was delayed by over an hour due to mechanical test difficulties, which resulted in missing my connecting flight. They popped me onto a later flight which also ended up being delayed by over an hour... and I knew that my patience was being tested. I could have stayed in Arkansas another day or I could have been in Arizona... but I did NOT want to be stranded in the purgatory that was Dallas/Ft. Worth for another moment!
I finally landed in Arizona around 6pm and was home sweet home to face my bewildered animals by 6:30. They've been at my heels ever since.

It's good to be home, but I will miss this chapter in the theatre journey. Both for the show and its message as well as the people and their love, talent and energy.

Thank you, Little Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment