Friday, August 6, 2010

That's farce! That's theatre! That's life.

So rehearsals have once again taken over my life.

Slightly more hours than a full-time job, I'm at the theatre for eight and a half hours (minus one hour for dinner break) seven days a week. And once again, I couldn't be happier.

The cast is amazing... not just in talent and experience alone, but really stellar people to boot. I'll admit to being a bit intimidated, but that takes a far second-place to the excitement. Luckily, I've been exhausted with the combination of starting school with the kids, working at home, and rehearsing for the entire second half of the day... so I have been able to avoid *most* of the annoying habits that begin to creep in when I get overanxious.

I'm confident with my lines, which makes all the difference in the world. The show is a fast-paced farce with a bunch of physical comedy, so it was difficult to get off-book for some scenes and they're still sketchy in my head, but once blocked, will make sense. Most of it has everything to do with timing.

I'm not as solid on my 'character' as I'd like to be (or typically would be this far into the process) but there's room for ambiguity in some sense, due to the sheer farcical nature of the play alone. I'd say that mine is one of the more minor characters, but when you're dealing with an 'ensemble' show like this, everyone is essential.

It's also a dialect show, so I get to watch the BBC for 'research', which is fabulous because some of my favorite shows are on the BBC anyhow. ('You Are What You Eat' and anything with Gordon Ramsay for starters.) Win!

My brain is fried, however, and I can't seem to get a handle on half of my other at-home projects in progress. They will most likely be on hold until production begins.

The new pup gets a little depressed when I leave, which is both sad and adorable. Having settled in, she's now testing boundaries and learning the rules. She definitely wants to learn and she's both food and affection-motivated, which makes her infinitely easy to train. Unfortunately, I'm not 'firm' enough with her. I don't get firm until I get frustrated and when I'm frustrated, I don't project the 'in control' energy I need to in order to get the results I'm after. At least, according to Cesar Milan... but I honestly think that he's successful because dogs know deep down that he can kick their ass. I don't have that advantage.

In the meantime, I'm off for another rehearsal. Act I is blocked and will be run today. (Woot!) The weekend will bring more rehearsals and a few photo shoots. (One being an engagement shoot that I'm super excited about!)

We open in three weeks. Holy crap.

Come see it. It's a laugh riot!!

Noises Off
www.phoenixtheatre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment