Monday, August 17, 2009

I shouldn't even be here today...

I just spent an amazing weekend in San Diego.

It was closing weekend of Measure for Measure with Poor Players and it was also the weekend of my BFs birthday. So, what better way to celebrate than to plan a roadtrip and take a weekend off and get outta town, right?

We left very early Friday morning and drove out in beautiful weather, making it to California mid-morning and settling into San Diego by noon. Glorious.

We puttered around the hotel, had drinks at the bar, laughed on the patio... and left for the show.

Which was no less than stellar. Wonderful performances, a beautiful concept... dark, humorous... a delicious evening.

Our Saturday was no less amazing as we set out to adventure and found some amazing local cuisine, got a peek into the job and real estate market, stuffed ourselves with a decadent supper of wine and cheeses, played poker with friends and made our plans to return home... rested and rejuvenated.

Then our radiator exploded and we overheated an hour west of Phoenix.

Thankfully, my mother put off her canning project and drove all the way out to pick us up while the car was towed to the nearest shop in Buckeye. Oy.
Today, I got the news that there is no compression in the motor and that I need new heads and rings. Double Oy.
I have no clue what it's going to cost me. I couldn't bear to make the phone calls today for estimates. I put it off to tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll brace myself for the worst and figure out if it's more appropriate to sell it to salvage and see if I can buy a used clunker to get me around for the next few months. Which kills me. Even though it's not the most practical family car (it's a Nissan 240sx), it has served us well and been through some fun adventures. I've got an emotional attachment to it and would hate to say goodbye. We shall see...

I hate cars. I'm pretty sure I hate them because I do not understand them. Which is bigoted or ignorant or just stubborn of me. sigh. I guess I just wish it didn't cost so much to simply 'exist'. We're born into debt. It's no joke.

Anyone know how to work on motors? For cheap?

No comments:

Post a Comment