Saturday, June 14, 2014

Revelations in Doggie Bags

Okay, so yes... it has been months upon months since I've posted. Lots of life changes, new full-time job, new awesome cause, new lifestyle habits. Which haven't included blogging. Don't judge.

Anyhow, upon moving to Florida, I noticed some changes in my dog's coat that made me start to research everything from environmental factors to diet. It doesn't hurt that I have access to the homeopathic crack-den that is Pinterest. After much reading and recipe-searching, here's what the grocery list looked like:

16oz. spinach               1.68
5 c. mixed vegetables   4.50
Ground Chuck (1.3lbs)4.00
Ground Turkey (2lbs)  6.00
Bacon (1pkg.)             3.98
12 oz.Cottage Cheese 1.98
8 Eggs*                        1.00
1 c. Rolled Oats          1.00
Rosemary                     .50
12oz. Kidney Beans      .78
12oz. Black Beans        .78
8oz. Beef Stock          1.82
2 c. Brown Rice            .37
Total Ingredient Cost = 27.44   ($13.72/week)

I made both batches at the same time, since they have so many similar ingredients. The general rule is 1/3 protein (animal protein is advised) and 2/3 veggies and grains. Here's how it went down:

Boiled small pots of water on my back burners for the rice and rolled oats, substituting about an ounce of water for beef stock. With about 10 minutes left to go with the rice, I threw in about 1/2tsp. of finely chopped Rosemary. In a pan on my front burner, I cooked up the bacon.
Once done with those elements, I threw the bacon and rice in a large bowl to cool and set aside the cooked rolled oats as well.
I deglazed my bacon pan (it was very lean bacon - very little fat to speak of) with a few ounces of the beef stock and thawed my frozen spinach with just enough water to cover it in the pan. Set aside spinach to cool.
Throw your ground chuck into the recently vacated spinach pan with some beef stock and start browning that bad boy.
While the beef was browning, I took my (now cooled) ingredients to the food processor. Brown rice and bacon together - a few nice zaps until it's a pasty, unappealing mess. Set aside. Throw in spinach and veggies for a few zaps until it looks like an overzealous slaw. Set aside.
Once the ground chuck is cooked, drain and set aside. Use the same pan to cook your turkey with whatever is left of your beef stock.

Now the fun part: In two LARGE Tupperware containers, I portioned out half of the bacon & brown rice slurry, the veggie slurry and the rolled oats. I used canned beans (because this was enough work already) and mashed them by hand until they were good and macerated. Divvy those up between your containers as well. One container received all of the turkey and half of the cottage cheese. The other container got the ground chuck and the other half of the cottage cheese. Mix all parts well. Refrigerate. (I threw the 'beef meal' in the freezer to thaw for next week. If you can fit both in your fridge, then you can alternate meals and be an uber super hero. My small eco fridge relegates me to sidekick status.)

*A note about the eggs. The eggs are additional protein for the 'beef  meal', which I intend to freeze. Since eggs don't freeze well, I'm waiting to add them (you can use them raw or cooked) until I thaw it out next week. Just before refrigerating is also when you'll want to add any essential oils (ie: Fish oil for coat.) If you're not freezing your beef, add in the eggs all willy-nilly. Again, raw or cooked - your choice - there are arguments for and against either option, so do your own research.

About halfway through the food-processing portion of the project, the delicious aromas of rosemary, brown rice and bacon began to blend together - definitely smelled more like dog food at that point. (Which is right around the time my Roxie started to stand sentry at the kitchen - which ended up being awesome because I made her taste-test every step of the way.)
I was worried about the pasty-glue texture of the rice and oats - but that did NOT seem to bother the dog one bit. She didn't lift her head out of her bowl until it was licked clean. AND... so far... no post-dinner nuclear dog farts. SCORE!

At a cost that is the same (or slightly cheaper), and took about 2 hours total in the kitchen, we've got 2 weeks of dog food - and a survival option suitable for humans in case of emergency. I'm pretty stoked!

I'll update if she grows horns or starts losing her fur. I'll also update as we try out new recipes!








No comments:

Post a Comment