Monday, July 16, 2012

Mathematically Speaking...

Moving is expensive.
Moving out of state is just ridiculous.

What was left of my rather small 'nest egg' is now almost gone, leaving me to reflect on how long it takes to build up savings vs. how rapidly it depletes.

I do not appreciate math for the 'universal language' it is purported to be. Numbers stress me out. This is why I became an actress. I deal with words and pictures and thoughts and ideas and emotions... not numbers. That's what agents and managers and accountants are for. They are the universal translators that speak a language I do not.

That being said, I've been overwhelmed with the administrative requirements in setting up a home 2,000 miles from where I am currently located.

Establishing a new home is expensive. For renters, there's first and last month's rent (or one month 'security' and first month's rent) plus any applicable 'pet' deposits or non-refundable cleaning deposits, administration fees, application fees, etc. In my case, $50.00 in application fees for myself and my roomie and $1970.00 in deposits/first month's rent. Total: $2020.00... gone in the blink of an eye. (Or the click of a mouse.)

Then, of course, there's the utility deposits. I had forgotten about these. Since I haven't had an account with any utility company in Florida, I get to pay deposits for EVERYTHING. Power & Light: $200.00, Water: $95.00, Internet: $190.00.  Running Total: $2505.00. Boom. Gone.

Now, that's just to move IN to this place...
The transportation TO Florida for myself and the cats is going to run about $1000 between the rental car, gas, food & lodging. Total: $3505.00. I weep.

Moving what's left of my pared-down furniture and belongings will run approximately $1500-$2000.00... Running Total: $5505.00. I weep uncontrollably and begin listing everything of value on Craigslist.

The items I'm NOT shipping (the couch, my bed, my TV and entertainment center) will eventually have to be replaced (I've estimated $1500-$1800 total) but not before I spend some time sleeping on an air mattress, I suspect.
Running Total: $7305.00. I faint.


My Jeep is staying here, so I'll be without a vehicle in Florida. I'm thankful to have a bike in storage because I just can't add any more numbers to the growing tally without it having severe repercussions on my long-term outlook. I have about $4300.00 left to earn/raise/save in the next month - which seems impossible, considering the fact that it took me AGES to save up the $3000.00 I started with.

And so, I don my black armband - in memory of my savings. I loved him once. I know he felt neglected, but it was because he was reserved for a higher purpose. I cried when he left and still haven't been able to completely shake the funk of knowing he is no longer there to comfort me... and I will miss him. More than he (or Wells Fargo) will ever know.

In the meantime, all I can do is look at my running total and think, "That's a downpayment on a house. It's a car. It's my salary for 2-3 months. It's a semester of a college class for my kids."

No, math is not a universal language.
It is subjective.
Just like art.

                                                                          Me on math.



**Update: As of noon o'clock today, I've decided that I'm going to try to drive my Jeep across the danged country. Between Jason, his buddy, and my mechanic, I'm told I can get it 'adventure-ready' at a lower cost than renting a car. Plus, I won't be so whiny about being in a new town without transportation. So... there we go. Cutting costs already!!


No comments:

Post a Comment