Friday, June 22, 2012

The Artist

I am an artist.
I live in your city, walk your streets, frequent your businesses.
I am the woman in the corner of the Starbucks, sipping my Chai and reading my script. As you stop for your iced coffee after work, my workday has just begun.
I teach your children to embrace their imagination and creativity. I nurture essential skills like complex problem-solving, analysis, communication and teamwork.
I sang at your cousin's wedding.
My best friends' brother painted the landscape hanging in your living room.
I coached your boss for six months before he could speak in front of large groups without vomiting.
I'm performing in a musical at the theatre downtown.

And soon, I'll be leaving.

Arts in education programs have been cut, so public schools can no longer afford our workshops. I now only teach the kids who can afford the arts.
I sing at fewer weddings. More often, DJ's are brought in to play Rhianna or Bruno Mars or Selena Gomez instead. I'm sure it's much more meaningful and sentimental.
My best friends' brother finally landed a corporate job after being homeless for two months. He doesn't paint any more.
Your boss has conquered his stage fright and sends me emails on occasion to thank me or offer referrals. It's legitimate work, but I feel like a surgeon who is only hired to sew stitches - it's the very basic foundation of what I actually DO.
The theatre downtown is closing due to lack of funding. Government grants have been pulled and private donations have all but dried up.

In the past two years, I've had to travel outside of my home state for work. It has afforded me the perspective to see how other states and other cities treat their arts organizations and their artists. It makes me very sad for Phoenix.
I'm sad because I wish I could stay... My family is here. My friends and my co-workers are here. My support system and my enablers are here.

But my work... is not.

So next time you see that empty table in the corner of the Starbucks, remember that an artist sat there once.
...And maybe set aside a few dollars to donate to a theatre so that the next artist can afford to stay...

No comments:

Post a Comment