Friday, August 26, 2011

I've fallen and I can't keep up!

Gone are the carefree days of summer.
The kids are back in school and the house is eerily quiet during the day. (Until the cats knock something over or the dog starts whining.)

I love the Fall.

It's my favorite season of the year - not just for the weather. I remember learning about Autumn/Fall back in grade school. The teacher would explain that all of nature is preparing for the winter... gearing up for that dormant period. But my life is quite the opposite. My 'dormant period' is definitely during the summer. In Arizona, everything shuts down for the summer (except the water parks) and doesn't start up again until the Fall. So, after a vampiric summer far indoors and away from the desert sun, I emerge (usually stir-crazy) and practically panting and salivating over the first project of the season.

And so it is... this Fall... that I will begin rehearsals for 'Next Fall' (yeah, it gets even more confusing when I try to say it) with Actor's Theatre. Next Fall is a play by Geoffrey Nauffts that tackles conventional issues that plague an 'unconventional' relationship - one a devout Christian and the other an atheist. It is a wonderfully written play about little people and big problems and I can't wait to get started on it!
But before I do... there are a couple of other projects in my lap at the moment. The first of which is Arizona Curriculum Theatre's annual "PoeFest". We are staging several pieces by Edgar Allan Poe and I'm really excited about the cast this year. I am co-directing with my friend and cohort, James Porter and the show will run through the month of October. Yay for Halloween!
I've also been finishing the preliminary script for 'Ain't I a Woman', an original (historically based) play that covers the lives and relationships of the original suffragettes. (Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, etc, etc. I'm uber-excited about this show as it's the first (complete) script that I've written - and it's a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Needless to say, my plate has been growing ever more full as the summer nears its close... and I couldn't be happier!
I will be in New York for a week at the end of September and return just in time to start rehearsals for 'Next Fall' and to see 'Poe' go into tech. It's going to be a very exciting month, for sure. I can't quite believe that August is almost over.

In any case, I will leave you with links and a video for your perusing pleasure. Happy pending Fall!!

http://www.poefest.org/
http://curriculumtheatre.org


No comments:

Post a Comment